J5's Daily Grind

Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Thoroughbred Racing


Since the 8Ball got called in for court duty before having to wrangle criminal folk the rest of the day, our run/swim plans got canceled. After sneaking up into the slumlords mansion and watching le Tour on their life size screen (not one of those objects are smaller than they appear screens) this morning, I headed off for the dreaded task of emissions testing and license plate tag renewals. $89 and exactly 2 hours later, I was back home. 2 hours, not bad considering it was around lunch time, a Wednesday at the beginning of the month, and there weren't long lines. Success. I didn't even have to lose my temper (no worries, I still know where it is).

When I got back I headed out for a run then wanted to get some time on the mountain bike. H. was tacking up the Govna and about to gallop in the back field. Perfect, a little cross racing with a horse. Most of the racers I go toe to toe with are as strong as a horse (and stubborn as mules), why not just race a horse? Ian got me the first one, but I managed to catch back up and hang on for a few rounds before slowing in the deep grass and steep punchy hills. I'm going to mow a path then take him down later this week. Hear that Govna? Don't you knicker at me.


The field racing also allowed me to test out my new Backcountry Research Awesome Strap. I don't use saddle bags due to them typically rubbing holes in my shorts and at $90 a pop, it's not worth it. Plus they are a pain to get stuff out and back into when racing, or if they are muddy, or wet. The Awesome Strap is usually used on the seat post, but I chose to run mine on the seat tube tucked up out of the way from my legs.

This might just replace the fanny pack of doom, which I use in lieu of a saddle bag as it's more convenient than a saddle bag, but the awesome strap holds tight and is quick and easy to get on and off. For events like Dirty Kanza I'll probably run 2-3 more - one on each fork leg and one on the stem - to open up pertinent space in my Epic Designs Frame Bag.

Thanks to Rich from Backcountry Research and to Rich from TeamDicky for getting me the Awesome Strap so quickly. It's just in time too since I have the XTERRA coming up and I wasn't too keen on having to use the fanny pack of doom. I hear there is an Awesome Strap "Back Forty" in the works too, which I'm hoping might cure another issue I run into with on long self supported rides/races. Stay tuned.



No comments: