
(Credit - All photos: H.)
The Lock 4 XTERRA took place today under amazing conditions. It was 54 degrees F outside when I woke up at 5am. 77 degrees, breezy, puffy clouds, and blue skies met with 84 degree lake water with a mild current. Perfect. I'm still amazed this is July, usually we're roasting under high temps and even higher humidity.
The girls and Dish accompanied me to the race and it was nice to have the support on hand. The parking vs the sign in vs the transition areas are spread out a lot at Lock 4 Park. To the race promoters credit though, they did arrange to have 3 tractors hooked up to flat bed trailers with hay bales loaded to shuttle people back and forth. But for me, it was nice to have an extra set of hands hauling gear, and all the cheering, jeering, and heckling. Thanks to Mike for the loan of the buck. We had to pay a $10 one day license fee, which is fine, but why couldn't that have been done when we registered online? Lots of folks were caught out on that little gotcha...
The race pretty much went as I imagined - I beat Mike out of the water (surprised myself with a 16th position out of the water), bikes were pretty even with Mike actually bringing back some time on me, then he caught me just shy of 1/3-way into my second lap, just past the paved hill in the woods. There were lots of friends out on course today (Chandler, Taylor, John, Big Poppy, Rick, Chip, and others) cheering and marshaling. Thanks for all the encouragement along the course!
I'm happy no mechanicals were suffered by me or Mike allowing us both a great race, and the swim didn't kill either one of us. It was an exciting race trying to finish well and keep Mike at bay for as long as I could. He nipped me by

After the race and pre-awards, I enjoyed some watermelon and a nice dip in the lake with the pups, generally just out enjoying the fantastic weather we've been treated to as of late. Perfect weekend for being outside, on a bike, and at a lake. There is a mtb race out at Lock4 tomorrow too. Hannah is heading out for her first race ever. I'll either support or throw my hat in the ring for SS, we'll see how the legs are feeling after todays effort.

















No comments:
Post a Comment