J5's Daily Grind

Monday, January 17, 2011

All Sewn Up

Cowboy Quilted.

Shortly after arriving at work this morning I got a message from H. that my birthday present had finally arrived as well as a secondary package. Sweet! I'd been hearing about this "present" that she supposedly had gotten me that was apparently "backordered" and wouldn't be here in time for my birthday for weeks (since weeks before Christmas actually).


I came home hoping to find 2 boxes waiting for me in the bike room. But they weren't there. I continued on into the kitchen only to find them not there either. H. said they were hiding and I had to find them. I headed for the bedroom (the only other room in our small abode besides the bathroom) and still found no box. Instead I found a new quilt exquisitely displayed on the bed. Not just any ordinary quilt, this quilt is comprised of my late grandpa's beloved cowboy shirts. What a perfect way to preserve his memory and tie his country and western style into the decor. Awesome. Thanks H.!


The other box ended up still being a box and hidden in plain sight in the bike room (the first room I entered). It was just casually placed in a location not normally used as a package collecting surface (that's typically reserved for the slumlords pool table). I quickly pulled out my blade and tore into the box of Colorado goodies.


Neatly stowed amongst the sticker schwag was my new layback cinch post in 2011 red, complete with my new seat post collar. The Rigor is getting some updated color for the year to freshen it up a bit. Since it was a snowy day at home when I was ordering, I did some extra shopping for myself for my birthday. A little splurgy splurge on an exclusive black race cut Moots Rider's Club jersey to complete my full Moots Black kit (for when portapotty blue just won't do). That'll be a nice companion to the swank new 2011 kit. Though I must admit the 2009-2010 blue kit holds a special place in my heart. Racing an event such as Kanza where you can see for miles and miles across the prairie, the Moots blue was easy to spot and you could always tell where a Mootster was. Though it will be nice to blend in a bit more in the woods, the blue stood out as quite a carrot for competitors in the woods. Hard to stay out of sight, out of mind.


I also got H. her own Moots travel mug (sky blue) so she wouldn't feel guilty for carting mine off and leaving them at work anymore and some new water bottles to replace my severely used and under cleaned ones from the past two seasons. Last but not least, I ordered a black logo T for something to wear around the shop. Little did I know that there was another option available. Luckily Corey at Moots knows what I like better than I do and sent me one of the pimpest shirts I've gotten since Curtis' "Ihateonespeeders" shirt from singlespeed worlds '08.

30 years and counting! Happy Birthday Moots!

Thanks Corey. And thanks Moots. Happy 30th! Here's to many, many more.

3 comments:

the original big ring said...

sure, sure . . . post up all that sh*t that you get from your sponsor, but totally forget about the little guy (or large fat guy) who sent you custom decals, on his dime! Pfffft, you're so dead to me.

P.s. Is Moots looking for riders? I hate Peter.

P.p.S.s. I do love the quilt. My mother-in-law is making me a quilt out of Jackie-Boys (my beloved Berner who passed away two years ago) blankets. An awesome way to remember someone.
cheers

Anonymous said...

Big Props to H. on the quilt. Amazing way to remember someone!

Peter Keiller said...

the quilt is a brilliant idea and grande gesture. H=good.

i am tired of sleeping in a bed with the meagre t-shirt and chamois i managed to steel from you at dsg...

H, i would like a thad filled pillow for my birthday please.