J5's Daily Grind

Thursday, January 6, 2011

Resurrectumnal Disorder


Well 2010 has finally left us. Whew, what a year. Deaths, more deaths, severe stomach disorders at PMBAR, then DSG, and culminating in a physical collapse at Kanza. Flooded and stolen (then held for "ransom") car, career changes, dogs hit by cars. Yeah, not a lot from 2010 to really brag about, but it is what it is and whatever it was has left me for the better, or so I'm telling myself.

One of the wiser decisions of 2010 on my part was the swapping from the stupidly overly stiff and wrist jarring 30.8 bar size to the more compliant 25.4. Taking it a step further, as I tend to do, I upped the anti and splurged on some Moots ti handlebars. In all honesty, they have been the best upgrade to a bike I've had. Going to 25.4 was good, but taking it to ti was bestest. Better than lighter wheels, better than a better fitting saddle, better than swapping frames. Lively enough to let me know what's going on while still soaking up the trail vibrations, rattles, and jars. Definitely a ride enhancing component change.


The new year is upon us and the preparations for the year's adventures have begun. Today I was blessed with a belated birthday present: a late afternoon road ride with the bossman and 2 co-workers. It was just what I (we) needed. It has helped kick-start the lacking motivation to get out on the road and log the miles and hours needed to help propel me through the races and challenges ahead this year.

Seeing as how the bars have so improved my current steed, I think it's time to pay some attention to the opposite end and get some extra compliance to help with the long days in the saddle. The in-laws and H. have gone in on a Moots layback cinch post for me for my birthday. Exciting news. It's also opened the door for adding a bit of new color to my typically drab flavorings. I think a new color kit might be in order for the new year.  Shall I go "Dead Dicky Red" or "Boo Hoo No More PMBAR Blue?" Play it safe and go "Peter's Cold Heart Black?"


Speaking of Peter. I'm seeing some disturbing evidence pointing to the creator of the FU Bar, the FU2 Bar,  the FME bar, and the Ebb-U branching out into a wider range of products to name. Times, they must be hard in the Canardia.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

great no you've rekindled my thoughts (wants) of a new handlebar and of course a Ti seatpost.

I certainly have to start riding again though to even justify buying more Stan's. :)

Moots needs to make a 17 degree bend Ti handlebar.


word verification: s Ti oer

Slumlordess said...

Oh to the primere pessimist...
-Your niece got to go home (albet after 3 months on the NICU, but things could have been much worse)
-You got a surrogate niece.
-Your flooded lemon got traded in for a nice reliable toyota.
-You got your flooded stuff back.
-JD is fine after his incident with the car.
-Lie detector Lyle can help your belly if you go see her.
-You have your own personal playground in the back yard.

Maybe your new years resolution should be to look on the bright side.