J5's Daily Grind

Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Backup Plan


Wednesday morning came with more snow and many miles worth of backed up traffic on I24. The only way to get anywhere not standing still was taking the 2 lane into town. The road is a twisty, hilly, narrow 2 lane country highway. It wasn't too bad to travel, though slick and icy as it was.


The real trouble came as I neared town. The roads got wider and worse. Black ice, sliding traffic, drifts starting. Cars were getting stuck at intersections due to the small inclines being too slick to get started on. The commute to work seemed almost futile the rate I was going, and I24 just up ahead was still bumper to bumper stopped traffic.


Luckily I packed a back up plan. I was about to take the icy 2 lane into Nashville and park at the Titan's stadium and ride the rest of the way in to work, when I finally made it to the interstate at a point where traffic was moving. And a mile later there wasn't any snow falling. The roads were clear. No icing. No traffic. Just 10 miles off the ridge. 10 more miles down the road the Sun was out and the sky clear. Imagine that. Crazy weather.

No comments: