J5's Daily Grind

Saturday, January 29, 2011

Train-ing

How I roll. 

With all the fancy schmancy smart phones and touchscreen enabled GPS units around, I still prefer my topo maps and compass. I enjoy the adventure of getting lost, checking maps, exploring unnamed roads to see where they lead (it's how I've discovered my most cherished routes) rather than just following an arrow of when and where to turn. Yes sometimes I could really have used the GPS, but for now I prefer my old school methods. That is until I'm lost and calling you smart phone/gps users for directions.


Speaking of old school, some of the fellas showed up at the farm for a hilly hell ride around the Highland Rim Friday. Plans were made, meeting place scheduled, then I was asked if it was ok that we were all meeting at my place. I love it when it's not my idea to leave from home, makes it feel less selfish.


It's been ages since I've gotten out on a road ride with the new and improved slimmer, stronger, faster 8ball. Our schedules couldn't really be farther apart, but as it turns out we have a window of opportunity on Fridays, we just never put 2 and 2 together until yesterday.


The Clarksvegas Duo made it out along with Jeffy the Duke and new comer Graham. We lured semi-retired for January Graham out on the promise of taking it easy, only to kinda stick to it. Trying to keep the route available to differing schedules (2 guys had to work that night) had us hitting pretty much every hill in the vicinity, saving the steeper ones for the later miles. Always a fun kick in the pants.


Highlight for me was an actual train at the single train crossing of my routes. Unfortunately it comes just shy of the top of a pretty steep incline. Combined with the length of the train it made for nice tight legs on the next couple ascents. It's all just money in the pain bank though. Considering recent exchange rates, we should double our pain payouts come April. 

Graham waiting out the train. 

KRS1 and MJ track standing at the tracks.


With so many recent stem changes, I started looking for a torque wrench set to handle 6Nm and below, which is pretty pricey. Then I stumbled upon the Bontrager 5Nm preset torque wrench. It handles all my stem bolt needs, comes in a handy t style shape, and matches the new Moots bits for added style points. Stem bolts and face plates beware.

3 comments:

g-money said...

Looks like your riding B Station below Rtop at the Tunnel.Love that ride.Great blog by the way.

cornfed said...

Yup. Swung that way from over near Seedtick. Good long day in the saddle with plenty of hills.

When is your ride time window? Perhaps we can get out for a spin sometime.

g-money said...

I usually ride in the morning before work,(7am to 9am)I have a crummy schedule for riding with others. I work 11am to 9pm but I ride every weekend.Its funny I ride the same routes you guys do and rarely see anybody.