J5's Daily Grind

Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Stayin' Alive, Stayin' Alive

60 degrees and foggy at sunrise, about 20 minutes into my commute

Made the stay alives today. Amazing. Not being familiar with many of the few roads available on my newest stay alive, I was kind of leary/slightly dreading portions of it. Mostly due to the very limited options to get across the Cumberland. Busy roads, sketchy areas, and deadly intersections cover the more widely used routes.

I stumbled upon a potentially different route that appeared might work out but the roads were completely foreign to me. A few emails back and forth with the EastSide Curmudgeonly Commuter (thanks D!) and a route was locked in. 23.4 miles is what Google Maps tells me. About 6 miles longer than I had wanted (to keep it at about an hour commute), but I must say this is the best route in to work I've ever had, even when I had a measly 12 mile one. The roads are quiet, wide shouldered, and scenic. There is about a block of sketch (which I refer to as Nocturne Alley) and the rest is smile inducing roll.

Plenty of climbs to wake the legs up on the start, in fact the first 12 miles is along some of my favorite local roads to ride, then the remaining miles feel short as the most I'm on any single road from there on is 3.8 miles, making it feel quicker. One hour and 30 minutes on the commutes. If I could drop about 3-4 miles I could probably dial it closer to an hour, but I'll take the longer time over super busy death roads any day.

Ri'Chard's on the left corner. The one light town of Whites Creek sleeps in as I roll through.

All in all it was a great day, the commutes and the job. Happy Days. Especially when you come home and get greeted by the hyper exuberant Monkey.

JD, growing like Monkey Grass


Misfit Cod Cog, the other black cog

I upped the gearing from my normal 42x18 to 42x17, putting the COD into Commuter. Which I hear is good at keeping ShortHillBillys at bay. Va-room!



No comments: