
Today was a chilled day for once this week. No real work (aside a few hours late tonight), some bike work, a solid 40 mile road ride with krs-1, laundry, gear packing, and bike prepping for the SouthernX going down at Mulberry Gap this weekend. I'm a little nervous. It's been a while since I've been in a cross race, let alone a 40 mile gravel "road" race, so I'm a little unsure about my high-end power and barrier coordination. But more than that, I'm worried about my gearing option. I only have one really, 42x18. I've ridden the roads around the course before but on my mountain geared bike (which is much lower) and they hurt. That 12 mile grunt for Firewater, yeah it's there, remember how much that hurt at 34x19? Yeah... and 95% of the crowd will be on those geared beasts. Maybe I'll treat it as a gravel grinder and just model socks and arm warmers.
Good thing I have a keg of Yazoo Dos Perros and a pack full of Pale Ale Growlers to help ease the pain.

Speaking of easing the pain, I had the pleasure of not one, but two surprises tonight, and the best kind of prize is a su-prise. Thanks to Hennessey and Jen@Walz for the spiffy new Walz cappy. It's the bees knees!

The second su-prise was walking into 12th Street Taproom to Reeves Gabrels playing guitar. Holy F-ing shite!! One of David Bowie's Monsters on stage 10 feet in front of me wailing on the guitar. Very few people I know would even bat an eye at that, but I was stunned silent. Amazing guitarist. Amazing.

Tomorrow (hopefully) we pick up the truckster, pack up, pick up Mighty Calves JLNR and his uber bling wheels, and head down to Mulberry Gap and the SouthernX.


No comments:
Post a Comment