J5's Daily Grind

Sunday, January 4, 2009

Resolute


Sitting on the couch listening to Kings of Leon's 'Only By The Night' album ( a little pre-birthday iTunes gift to myself) I've been reflecting upon the last week and the past year in general. Many changes, many new friends, some lost friends. 08 was one hell of a ride.

Normally I'd write up some sort of race recap from Snake, being the first Sunday in January, but I think I'll pass at the moment. I didn't achieve my 3:45 goal, but not for lack of trying or fitness. There's a lot about my effort and result that I'm happy with and going to hold close to my chest for the time being. Sodium Pentathol be damned.

H. and I drove up to the frozen North to visit with the family over the New Year Holiday. It was a great visit. Dad got me a Red Ryder BB Gun (sorry no compass in the stock) and my brothers and I had a good time shooting in the back yard. Nick didn't even shoot his eye out, though he had some trouble with putting his thumb over the site. A.J. nipped the Deadeye Dick award for his bullseye. We got my Grandma Hoffman a small present for Christmas intending to make her happy, but in doing so, succeeded in making her cry. She felt badly due to not getting us anything (she'd told everyone not to buy gifts this year). She's lonely and I feel badly for her. I wish home were closer to me. Twice a year visits just aren't enough time to get to spend with all the family. I'm going to resolve to keeping in touch better with the grandparents this year.

Rather than recapping the year, I'm going to give out some props to a few small businesses that went above and beyond for me this year. They all make great products, have incredible customer support, and are deserving of much more appreciation than I can show them. I consider each of them friends, despite only email conversations with many.

Epic Designs: Product find of the year for me. Eric Parsons was heading out for a trip when I inquired about ordering a bag for Trans Iowa. Despite a short time frame, me not getting the check mailed out as early as I'd hoped, he delivered before he even had hold of my check. The frame bag is my favorite way to haul gear on the long rides and races. Performs flawlessly and has me dreaming up a few more custom gear bags to order. Hand made in the USA (Alaska even).

Walz Caps: Jen and Co are the bomb. I'm never without a Walz cap, if it's not on my head it's in my pocket or in the lid pocket of my messenger bag. Best hats out there, period. Hand made with a splash of love in the USA (over on that West coast of ours).

Swiftwick Socks: Even though they sponsor me through product (enjoying testing some of their killer arm warmers at the moment), I love to baffle the heads of state in the company by ordering and paying for my socks. The socks are just that good. Sharpie and Grant aren't too bad either. Made in the USA (TN in fact).

Now, if you'll excuse me, I have a filthy bike to tend to and new brake cables, housing, and pads to install.



No comments: